From the NationMaster website, I found a long list of interesting statistics comparing Japan and America (any countries can be compared on that website…but since I was born in America and have been living in Japan for more than half of my life, I decided to compare those two countries.)
According to that website:
- America has three times as much crime as Japan,
- America has the world’s highest Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and Japan has the third (was the second highest until China surpassed Japan recently),
- American school classrooms have an average of 18 students per class, and Japan has an average of 35.
- 30% of Americans are considered obese but only 3.2% of Japanese are.
- Japan has a 99% literacy rate, America’s is 86%
- America drinks 10 times as many soft drinks as Japan…but Japan drinks 71% more alcohol than America.